Monday 19 March 2012

Rainbow of colours

I  decided to do a post about paints. Ever wondered how many paint colours go into a reborn baby?
4? 5? 6? 10??........





Here is my 'Rainbow' of paints that i use!
When i sit and think about it, its amazing how many colours i use and some colours like grey and bright blue and green that you would never think you would need!

Here they are.






I think there are some missing in these pictures.
I  also use about 12-14 ramekin dishes for mixing endless experimental paint combinations in, and porcelaine paint palettes too. I dont have a set routine. I just let my artist mode flow and sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. No two dolls are ever exactly the same.
Some of my best reborns have been ones ive slapped the paint on in a furious mode.
My competition baby i painted 3 times! The last time i was getting quite furious with myself for my  sudden lack of painting skills. I thought to myself "well here we go again i'll   have to  restart it  for the 4th time!! So i threw caution to the wind and literally slapped the paint on 90 mph!! I was certain it was just going to  make matters worse, for not only was i guessing at colour combinations for each  layer of paint but i was also 'speed painting' me and my Aries temperament again.... *blush*.
As it was the going with the flow rather than analising every  stroke paid off with one of my best babies to date.
I guess my dad was watching over me that day. My aim was very newborn tones and by fluke, luck or magic i got it!!

Another thing i use is tons of paint brushes, often with just 2 or 3 hairs left in them, and cosmetic wedge sponges well lets just say i must be keeping them in business! Its funny as they cant be any old cosmetic/make up wedge sponge, no it has to be the firmer, denser variety!
Its  impossible to make just enough paint as well. All that time  mixing it, out of each mixture for each layer i'll end up needing approx a tenth, a twentyith of the mixed paint,  the rest will  just then evapourate and  dry out. Sometimes more thinners can be added sometimes not.
The paint brushes can be a touchy subject most seem either too firm or too soft. In the beginning i bought a properreborning set. Need to get another set soon but i'll have to sneek those in at almost £50 a set!

So ive just tidied up my tub of paints  tonight. I'll give it 5 minutes painting before they are all randomly scattered in the tub again lol!

1 comment:

  1. blinking heck! im shocked, i didnt realise so many colours were involved, and the bright ones too, its amazing how they all work together to make a babys skin tone x

    ReplyDelete