Monday 20 February 2012

Ovens

Updating things.

Grace is coming  along nicely, just varnishing her.  Then she will go in my halogen oven for 8 minutes. I then have to let the vinyl cool which takes ages.
Then flip the parts over and bake again for another 8 minutes.

Speaking of ovens, well ive had my share of reborns in ovens  disasters.
Firstly you never bake a reborn doll kit in an  oven you use for food, so i started off like most artists used to  do with a table top portable oven.
When i first got it i had a big doll  kit called Fabrizio. Fabrizio's head is huge. So i dragged hubby round numerous shops looking.
Argos was harder to have a sneaky look. I had to ask  the sales lady to 'have a look'. Off we went to the collection desk. A rather nice 20 something 'cor if only'  lad served me.
"I want to see the  oven  please" i requested whilst mummbling my words and going red at how  cute this guy was (really at my age! lol).
So he unpacks the oven from the box, shows me the rings on top etc. I told him i  didnt need those just i wanted to see if it was big enough to 'put my head in'.
Before he even had chance to look twice, i snook Fabrizios unpainted, bald head of of the carrier bag id half hidden behind my bag. I quickly whizzed Fabrizio's head into the oven and stood there studing how close the top  of him would come to the heating element.  The poor lad obviously thought i was a bit 'dotty'!! His face was a picture, as was the other people collecting their purchases, now visibly shuffling away from me to 'a safer distance' in their heads, just  in case i might have tried to shove their heads in the oven as well lol!! You could see one old lady and her hubby looking at her hubby as if to say "Eh Bob!! we've got one of those nutters here...... on of those fake baby people!!"

As it was Fabrizios head came too close and at risk of melting if id gone with that oven.
So it was back to the drawing board, round a few more shops, until i found a huge  one.
£100 odd punds later i was now the proud owner of a table to oven.

First time i used it i baked a new kit id bought called 'Tommy asleep'. Tommys vinyl is very soft silicone like, too  soft really. So i sat there with the oven in the front room (don't ask)!!!! baking Tommy for the first time. I glanced up for a second at the tv, glanced back, did a double look, then realised.
Tommy wasnt just 'asleep' he was very much 'dead' now. I had only gone and turned the grill setting on instead and melted  him!! He went flat and split apart. And to this day i still get  the colly wobbles if i see the same kit again.

So i now use a halogen oven with a extender ring. Its so much easier to use, turns itself  off which saves me getting distrated and forgetting......... but how did i Christen  my new halogen oven........ by melting a 'Demi' kit!!

Im  just glad that doesnt happen too often these days lol!!

1 comment: